Tuesday, April 22, 2008

He's Gone! And Some Others...

So the downstairs neighbor did get his stuff moved out today, after all. Now his apartment just needs to be cleaned up for the next tenants, who happen to be our current roommates. I've heard that the apartment is thrashed and stinks horribly. I may get a chance to see it first hand tomorrow morning, but I have to be at work by 11:00, so it depends on whether or not the landlords will be here in time with the person to have the locks changed. (Guy took the keys with him and the doors are locked!). A note left on his door earlier today by someone unknown read "Call me when you get home. Will kill." We have absolutely no idea what that means. Is that a code, or is somebody really offering to kill someone over this guy's eviction? Scary.

Today's day at work was short. I was only scheduled to be there from 3 to 7 but ended up staying an extra 45 minutes. All I did was unload a few totes and make mylars (the little signs indicating prices of the products) for the seasonal aisle. My boss wanted me to stay longer but I told him that I had to go home, I was already expected to be there for a homemade dinner and my girlfriend wanted me to hurry on home for it.

She had made a delicious taco dinner for tonight. We ate and then set out for an evening walk. This was something that we had planned to do every day months ago, and yet this is the first time we'd done it in I don't even know how long. We headed for a part of the neighborhood that we don't normally see, and it's amazing how much nicer and quieter it is a mere block or two away, off the main street that we live practically right on. Not that our area isn't nice, just not as nice and definitely not as quiet. I love my apartment though. Close to 1,000 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, separate living and dining rooms, we even have a fireplace! Decent size deck, though it could be bigger, and a big back yard. And the building itself is small. Only 4 main units and a 5th, smaller one off to the side (where that guy just got evicted from).

Anyway, enough about that, here's the topic of the night. My girlfriend and I have decided to make it our goal to go on at least one vacation every summer. Two summers ago it was to Vancouver, BC. Last summer we just went on a quiet camping trip to Moran State Park on Orcas Island in the San Juans. This summer we're going to Kansas City, Missouri for the wedding of a friend. Next summer we had originally planned on going to Anchorage, Alaska for our trip. Not as random a trip as that sounds, it is the birthplace of my girlfriend (though she doesn't remember it at all because she was less than a year old when her family left Alaska) and I have always wanted to go to Alaska myself. I grew up hearing all about Alaska since my family has some history there and my dad used to go there every summer as a kid. My grandma's sister lives in Wasilla, to the north of Anchorage, and my grandma would fly up every year to see her. She said that after I was done with school that she'd take me with her, but with just a month to go in my senior year, my grandma suffered a stroke and hasn't been up there since.

Now, however, my girlfriend wants to go to Mexico. Don't get me wrong, Mexico would be an awesome vacation, but Alaska still gets my vote. With Mexico, for one thing, it's probably more expensive, and we'd have to deal with the hassle of getting our passports (which I guess we probably should have anyway, especially now that they are requiring them for border crossing at Canada and we'll be likely to be there again, especially passing through to and from Point Roberts, WA (another place with a HUGE amount of family history for me, so I'd LOVE to go back again), which requires 4 border crossing in a round trip). So yea, Alaska, especially with it's vast amount of natural beauty (so I've seen in pictures and on TV!) calls to me more, but the clear blue ocean waters and white sandy beaches sound appealing, too. Just not the extra cost! lol. Now if I really had the money, I'd take Hawaii all the way. But that one will just have to wait.

Until next time!

No comments: