Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The First One

As the title implies, this is my first blog here. Allow me to start with a story that started yesterday and (hopefully) ended today with a customer at work (I work at Walgreens).

An elderly man came in yesterday (Sunday) and wanted to know where he could find the eggs that were on sale. We had been running low on eggs and had actually run out earlier that morning. So I said, very politely,

"I'm sorry, sir, we ran out this morning. We should be getting more in tomorrow."

Well, yelling by the elderly man ensued.

"WELL THEN WHY DID YOU GUYS ADVERTISE THEM IN TODAY'S PAPER!? THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE ON SALE!"

Our sales, by the way, run Sunday through Saturday, so this was the first day of the sale, and our dairy deliveries normally come on Monday. I go on to tell him this.

"The sale runs all week. If you like, though, I can..."

I was at that point cut off by more yelling. Even though we don't normally write rainchecks on the first day of the sale, I was going to offer him one because he was obviously upset. Forget that, though, this guy's nuts!

"IF YOU WERE OUT, WHY DID YOU PUT THEM HERE?!" *Waves ad around*

"Sir, we didn't print that personally, it's a corporate ad....."

Once again before I could finish my thought, he goes one yelling at me.

"WELL WHY THE HELL DO YOU EVEN BOTHER!?? YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING HERE! I'M GOING TO CALL THE 800 NUMBER!"

He stormed off before I could even get another word in. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with this man again, but alas, he came in again today. He came up to me and said that he had called earlier today about some eggs and could I get them for him. I was manning the register today and had people in line.

"I'm sorry sir, I can't get them for you, but the guy back there in photo can grab them for you."

Again, yelling, he says "THAT GUY'S GOT ABOUT SIX PEOPLE AROUND HIM ALREADY!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't leave the register right now." I then motioned towards the people waiting in line. Without another word (thankfully), he walked back to photo, and by the time he got there the people around the photo guy (they were all of the same group) were leaving. He got his eggs and then left, but not before informing us that he had indeed 'called the 800 number' on us because we 'never have anything.' I should call his doctor and tell him that this guy's neglecting his meds. lol.

I guess that you just can't please everyone.

Then tonight just before closing, a lady came in who wanted to pay exact change. She took some out of her purse and threw it down on the counter, but it wasn't enough. I picked up what she had while she looked in her purse for more, and then held my hand out for the rest. She then PUSHED MY HAND out of the way and threw the remainder of the change down on the counter. Way to be rude lady, or perhaps you're just stupid. Who knows. I'm sure that anybody reading 'cjmg85's blogarium' will be hearing a LOT about annoyances at work and the annoying and rude customers we get. (Don't get me wrong, though, there are also MANY nice people that come in).

And while still on the subject of work, I must brag about the reward I got for excellent customer service. I got a frame for it today to hang up. Corny I know, but it's still something to be proud of. Too bad it doesn't come with a pay raise though. lol. But it will enter me into a company drawing this quarter for a new car OR cash money. Exciting!

In other news the newest version of Ubuntu Linux is scheduled for release in two days. I've been waiting for this release to upgrade the laptop. Good stuff.

And finally, the annoying, loud, noise making late at night, drug business running neighbor downstairs from me is finally leaving! EVICTED! If he doesn't have all of his stuff out by tomorrow (by which I mean today, since it's passed midnight), then the sheriff comes and stands by while the landlords haul it all out for him and leave it out front. Thank goodness. My girlfriend and I (as well as the others in the building, which is only a 5 unit building) and the landlords will all be happy when he's finally out. (And did I mention that he also has a warrant out for his arrest? The police have been by looking for him a few times. He conveniently never answers his door when they're here. If he's smart he'll either be out in time or not be here when the sheriff is. Oh wait, maybe he's not so smart, the landlords offered him $500 AND to have his stuff moved for free if he would just agree to move out a few months ago. He didn't take up the offer. He owes a lot of back rent, too).

And for now I end 'The First One' and look forward to writing more in the future.

Til next time!

No comments: